Wednesday 28 September 2011

The Cental Elevator

 The elevator plays quite a crucial role in my building. It forms the centre piece of the firm, which is probably suited considering the feeling of movement in Chirag's piece, and in the twisted additions. This central piece flows between floors 2, 3 and 4. These pictures were raken before my alterations to the building, but in a later post it should be more obvious what this area really looks like.
The top of my building was renovated to be circular, much like, again, this rotating prim. Then very top has a dome. I liked this idea of having this light filter down right through the centre of the building from the top floor. In fact, I liked the idea of being able to see down into areas below (or above) from other floors. I felt it meant  people could maintain some kind of human connection, whilst still feeling as though they had their own privacy, security and seperation. This was a part of my idea that spiralled off from my 'smile' idea last week. When someone smiles at you, it creates this sense of belonging and worth in the reciever, and they probably feel inclined to smile back. A sense of belonging, and of being a part of something, is in some ways just the basic instinct for security. In saying this, I wanted to keep this sense of belonging amd security while still trying to maintain that division and privacy the firm needs.
Additionally, the internal, centred elevator forms a centrepiece, or common point, between all the floors, hopefully creating more of a sense connection between each floor and the inhabitants.

No comments:

Post a Comment